Raising Cross-Cultural Kids
Expert tips for helping cross-cultural kids find their identity build resilience
by Steve Silvestro, MD @zendocsteve
Perhaps the greatest challenge we all face as we grow up is finding our identity—figuring out who we are and who we want to become.
It’s no easy task—some of us adults (maybe even most of us?) are still trying to figure this out. But the challenge is even greater for cross-cultural kids teens. Whether they’ve lived in several cultural environments, have parents whose cultures are different from that of where they live, or have multiple cultural backgrounds in their families—cross-cultural kids teens have a wealth of ingredients mixed in together to create the recipe of who they are.
Their challenge is to figure out what that recipe becomes—and it’s the challenge of their parents to sort out how and how much to help them along the way.
My guest today is Dr. Anisha Abraham. As a physician, educator, and parent, Dr. Abraham helps teens to discover their strengths, focus on their wellbeing, and successfully navigate a changing world. In this conversation, we talk about tips from her new book, Raising Global Teens: Parenting in the 21st Century .
Take a listen on your favorite podcast app or in the player below:
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- What a “global teen,” a “cross-cultural kid,” and a “third culture kid” are
- Eddie van Halen’s childhood as a cross-cultural kid the challenges faced by other cross-cultural kids
- The benefits strengths of being a cross-cultural kid
- Identity—4 different types of identities cross-cultural kids may adopt
- How to talk about identity belonging with your kids
- The importance of sharing your own personal stories with your kids so they can learn to be proud of their own
- Behaviors cross-cultural kids can display as they experiment with identity
- Key strategies for laying the groundwork for good communication with your kids
- How cross-cultural kids’ backgrounds shape their world view
- Tips to help kids build resilience
- How to encourage kids to become the best global citizens they can be
- …and a whole lot more!
Scroll up to the player above to listen, or hear it on your favorite podcast app!
Tag me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn, and let me know what you think about my conversation with Dr. Anisha Abraham!
Important Resources for You to Use:
- Raising Global Teens: Parenting in the 21st Century , by Dr. Anisha Abraham
- Duct Tape Parenting , by Vicki Hoefle
Related Child Repair Guide Episodes
- Home Teaching Helping Kids Thrive During COVID-19
- 6 Tips for Staying Zen When Traveling with Kids
LIKE WHAT YOU’VE READ SO FAR?
GET ACCESS TO MY FREE KIDS’ HEALTH TIPS
Share These Images on Pinterest:
This post appeared first on Dr. Steve Silvestro.